1.28.2010

Baby Steps: Light Green

I just received an email (fwd) from my dad talking about being more mindful of what we purchase in relation to where things are made. The email outlined several common items that we purchase: GE light bulbs, Crest toothpaste, Bounce dryer sheets and Hershey's chocolate. This person just happened to read the labels on these items and saw that they were each made in Mexico, with the exception of the dryer sheets, which were made in Canada. The shopper decided to purchase the less-costly off-brand items that were comparable and those were actually made in the USA. I realize that sometimes there is just no comparison (IE: Hershey's vs. store brand) but for those items that we really don't realize the difference (IE: fragrance free dryer sheets, crushed tomatoes, light bulbs) I'd say its worth putting aside brand-power and picking up the items made here, in the USA. Why not? They're generally less expensive anyways.
Also, another forward came from my sister about getting $100 worth of groceries for $0.25. Here's the link with a clip from the Today Show if you're interested in finding out how:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/34724242#34724242

If you're wondering how the subject ties in, I guess its because I feel like these are very small steps to becoming more conscientious of how we live and effect the world around us. Some people call such a movement "going green". I do not consider myself 'green' but I do care about the resources God gave us and I'm learning to be a better steward....hence, baby steps, and light green.

No comments: