11.05.2008

who needs baby einstein anyways?

Kayna is not too much into sitting still these days so she has not really gotten into TV watching. This has proven to be a double-edged sword. It would be great if she had a favorite program that we could pop into a DVD player for long trips in the car, and also for those dreaded no-nap days. But I will say that I am thankful for the little bundle of energy that loves to explore EVERYTHING - especially the outdoors - regardless of the time of day.
For one, she's helping me overcome my fear of insects. We were outside 2 weeks ago when she came upon a caterpillar. Without reserve she picked it up. Surprisingly, she handled the creature with such care. A few minutes later, as we walked up the driveway, we came upon another caterpillar. Instead of being black and smooth, this one was white and fuzzy. I reminded Kayna to be gentle with the caterpillar before she went in for the grab. Kayna gently patted the creature two times and then, before I knew it, she had smashed it into the concrete....with her bare hand!! How do you communicate to a 16 month old that she just killed a caterpillar? Who knows? But I don't think she's scarred for life after I told her that the caterpillar went "bye bye" and that it was "no more". Another positive thing that has come out of not watching TV is that she's become an avid reader. Here is a clip that Chris captured this week of Kayna reading a newsletter from the church. Let me know if you have the translation :)


4 comments:

Unknown said...

ha, that's precious!! aw, i love and miss you guys...thanks for posting that :)

aunt mez

Satterfield said...

Very cute...she & EJ can have school together before long!!!

The Burns said...

Too cute! I love it. We had fun playing today!

Jessica said...

she's growing up so fast! and i'm not even her mom! can't wait to see you guys at christmas :)